As The World Turns
Creator Irna Phillips brought the character of Mitchell Dru to Bay City on
November 11, 1964. Geoffrey Lumb had played the role on two other P&G soaps Phillips created:
The Brighter Day, 1956 until the show's cancellation in September 1962; and ATWT, September 1962-1964,
who had been a client of Will and Jim Matthews for many years,
became entrenched as the senior attorney (in a law firm consisting of
John Randolph and others) for the next six years.
When Another World was cancelled, four characters were chosen to make
brief appearances on ATWT. Only Tom Eplin's character became a regular on
July 14, 1999, with the rest, and others, making reappearances now and then.
Ellen Wheeler became an ATWT director. On June 21, 2000, Jake flashbacked
to a Jake/Vicky scene that had aired in June of 1999 on Another World.
Vicky was presumed killed in a plane crash on November 8, 1999. Her ghost
began haunting Jake and his girlfriend Molly Conlan in the fall of 2000.
Vicky's spirit led Jake to discover that she had given birth to twin
daughters the day she died, November 11, 1999. Jake was united with Michelle
and Bridget in Canada where they were being raised by a fisherman, Enos
Cloche, and his wife. The twins were played alternately by Lauren/Megan
Ferrera and Jenna/Kalya McGrane. Stephen Schnetzer became a recurring actor in
the spring of 2001. Jake married Molly on October 3, 2001.
Jake was shot by insane nanny Mary Mennihan on April 29, 2002, and died
in his hospital bed on May 1, 2002. Marley and Donna agreed to share joint
custody of the twins with Molly on a trial basis.
- Jake McKinnon.
- June 30 - July 8, 1999. [Vicky tagged along when Jake
attended a newspaper conference in Chicago. They met Tom Hughes when he
tracked the nurse Jake hired to examine Vicky]
- July 14, 1999 - July 2, 2002. [He became editor on Lucinda Walsh's City Times]
- Vicky Hudson.
- June 30 - July 8, 1999. [Accompanied Jake]
- August 25, 1999. [At the Harbor Club, Vicky told Jake she was amenable
to moving to Oakdale]
- September 22 and 23, 1999. [Vicky decided to accompany Donna to New York for
- November 3 and 6, 2000. [Vicky's ghost began haunting Molly]
- November 13, December 1, and 4, 2000. [Vicky's ghost haunted Molly]
- December 14 and 15, 2000. [Vicky appeared during the seance]
- January 2 and 3, 2001. [Vicky first communicated with Jake]
- January 8, 9, 11, 22, 23, 31, February 1, 5, 14, 19, and 20, 2001. [More of Vicky's appearances]
- Cass Winthrop.
- July 5-8, 1999. [Car trouble marooned Cass and Lila at a hotel
which was hosting a high school reunion. They met Eddie Silva, whose mother Deena
Cass had known when he practiced law in Oakdale]
- September 30, 1999. [Margo Hughes visited Cass in his law office to sound
him out on the identity of Eddie's father, Alec Wallace]
- November 11, 1999 - December 20, 1999. [Cass defended Margo on a murder
charge, but lost the case]
- August 23, 2000. [Cass ran into Emily]
- October 19, 2000. [Cass visited Jake]
- February 22, 23, 26, 27, March 19, 21, 28, 2001. [Craig hired Cass]
- April 4 - October 3, 2001. [Schnetzer was put on recurring status]
- May 2, 2002. [Came when Jake died]
- August 18 - October 24, 2005. [Cass represented Gwen Norbeck in her custody hearing]
- February 2, 2006.
- May 18, 2006.
- July 14, 17, and 18, 2006. [Cass represented Emily]
- Lila Roberts.
- July 5-8, 1999. [Accompanied Cass]
- Donna Love.
- September 22 and 23, 1999. [Donna told Jake and Vicky she was
suffering from skin cancer]
- August 23, 2000. [Donna visited Jake]
- October 19, 2000. [Donna visited Molly]
- November 10, 2000. [Molly told Donna of seeing Vicky's ghost]
- December 14 and 15, 2000. [Donna participated in the seance]
- March 1, 2001. [Donna met her grand-daughters]
- August 30, 2001. [Donna became the girls' nanny]
- October 2, 3, and 4, 2001. [Donna attended Jake's wedding]
- May 2, 3, 6, 15, 16, and 17, 2002. [Donna came when Jake died]
- Marley Hudson.
- March 14, 2000. [Jake ran into Marley]
- November 10, 2000. [Jake told Marley of Molly seeing Vicky's ghost]
- March 1, 2001. [Marley met her nieces]
- October 2, 3, and 4, 2001. [Marley attended Jake's wedding]
- May 2, 3, 6, 15, 16, and 17, 2002. [Marley came when Jake died]
- October 16, 2003. [Marley met with Molly]
- Cindy Harrison.
- December 22, 2000. [Cindy visited Jake]
- January 15, 2001. [Cindy met with Carly to buy Craig's stolen microchip]
Gary Pillar and Elissa Leeds joined briefly as their GL characters Michael
Bauer and his daughter Hope in an effort to boost ratings.
Michael, a new widower, joined the Randolph law firm and became attracted to
Pat. Hope last appeared on January 12, 1967, while Michael stayed from February 4, 1966 to
February 2, 1967.
Stephen Schnetzer appeared as Cass from April 25-29, 2002, representing Tony Santos.
The characters of Missy, Ricky, Sam, and Lahoma were permanently transferred
to spin-off Somerset, but they appeared on both shows for several months.
Sam was transferred back to AW at the end of 1973.
A number of AW characters made appearances on Somerset from 1970 - 1973. All characters below made recurring appearances, with the exception of Liz Matthews and Rachel Davis.
Liz Matthews (Nancy Wickwire, March 10 - 27, 1970; April 6, 1970 - September 18, 1970).
John Randolph (Michael M. Ryan, 1970 - June 1971).
Pat Randolph (Beverly Penberthy, 1970).
Mitchell Dru (Geoffrey Lumb, 1970 - 1971).
Ernie Downs (Harry Bellaver, 1970 - July 1971).
Ada Davis Downs (Constance Ford, 1970 - July 1971; December 1973).
Walter Curtin (Val Dufour, 1970 - 1971).
Lenore Moore (Judith Barcroft, 1970).
Wayne Addison (Robert Milli, 1970).
Steve Frame (George Reinholt, 1970 - 1971).
Alice Matthews Frame (Jacqueline Courtney, 1970 - 1971).
Peggy Harris Nolan (Micki Grant, 1970).
Ted Clark (Stephen Bolster, 1971 - 1972).
Rachel Davis (Robin Strasser, April 20, 1970 - May 12, 1970; June 23, 1971 - July 6, 1971).
Somerset characters that appeared on AW: Robert and Jasper
Delaney, Rafe Carter, Ellen and Ben Grant, Rex Cooper, Jessica Buchanan,
Gerald and Pammy Davis. Robert was then permanently
transferred to AW in 1972.
For Richer, For Poorer
AW head writer Lemay and producer Rauch created Lovers and Friends, which was
cancelled in May 1977 after four months. Main characters Austin and Amy
Cushing appeared on Another World in November, played by Rod Arrants
and Christine Jones (who later joined AW as Janice Frame). Amy was a
former model and friend of Rachel's during Rachel's modelling days. They
journeyed back to their revamped show, now called For Richer, For Poorer,
for its relaunch in December. Mac and Rachel accompanied them, appearing
briefly on their show in order to entice viewers into watching the revamp.
Brian Bancroft made two appearances (August 18 and 20, 1980) on Texas to divorce Iris a few
weeks into the new series. Mac Cory also came to visit Iris and appeared on August
The character of Vivien Gorrow, which had originated on AW, was transferred back
to AW two months after Texas's cancellation. The characters of Iris and
Dennis followed suit, in 1988 and 1989 respectively, though Iris was played
by a different actress.