Previous Updates - 1999
End of December, 1999
December 12, 1999
- 1995-1999 chrono tapes will be released in January, but read the notices here about them before ordering. At
least one new tape planned, and a new assortment of special 60's and 70's synopses for next year.
- Completely unrelated, Thoughts to Ponder.
December 1, 1999
- Another AW first? Another World may have been the first soap to use the "beauty shot" (end credits
featuring actors on set), starting in the late 1960's. Previously, end credits ran over the
show's signature card or an empty set.
October 31, 1999
- IGS Net claims not to monitor bandwith transfer, so there should no longer be accessibility problems.
Still, to not risk their unwarranted attention, try not to access an excessive amount, especially
in the beginning. This doesn't apply to pages not under the IGS umbrella, such as the AWVL and Audio pages.
If there are ever accessibility problems encountered, let me know.
- New 1977-1978 audio clips on the
audio page (fourth section), and a new music file (very first link).
- A minor character gallery, now in Minor Characters.
- Comments from Anne Meacham in the Louise file.
- Video orders will be suspended until after 1/01/2000.
- My new email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
October 24, 1999
October 17, 1999
- New info: Doris Belack played both Madge Murray (66-68) and Nora Simpson (78). Movie
actor David Strathairn played Maisie's boyfriend Dave Wilcox in 1987.
- Things have wound down here for the time being. It will pick up in the future when more
episodes and scripts become available. I might move to a new server on December 1st, around
which time will be the debut of a new type of gallery. As well, there are some new tapes in
development: Audiotapes of the best episodes/scenes from 1977-1980; and a "Best of 1983"
video with all-new material.
September 19, 1999
- April-June added to complete the 1999 weekly synopses.
- New photo: First lovemaking: Cass and Kathleen.
- The major and minor character guides now have full dates for actors (where known),
not just characters.
- For free gourmet jelly beans, click here.
September 12, 1999
- The chrono series is complete! The last two 1986 tapes, described here
(also just listed here).
September 5, 1999
- New videos:
1985-1986 chrono tapes, described here
(also just listed here).
The Arizona scenes in the 1985 chronos do not repeat those appearing in Classic
Carl, which makes CC 100% non-chrono.
- New daily synopses: June 15-28, 1999.
August 22, 1999
August 15, 1999
- My review of the Ultimate AW Trivia Book is at the bottom of
- New videos: 1983-1985 chrono tapes, described here
(also just listed here),
and Victoria Wyndham's 25th anniversary episode for $10.
August 8, 1999
- For the completist, or the recent fan, the Special Series now
has The Best of the Modern Age.
August 1, 1999
- New daily synopses. Synopses will resume in September.
- New photos:
Kathleen, Marley and Jake,
Michael and Donna, Disrupted Wedding:
Cass and Kathleen, Donna and Vicky.
- New audio file:
Michael seranades Donna (of
poorer quality to save space).
- New info: Intro line, Cecile, 1986, "Hello, Cass". Exit line, Neal, to Adam, "I think I'll see you in a couple of weeks."
- About the Bandwith: My web account allows 100 megabytes of file transfer per month
(in other words, the maximum amount that can be downloaded from the site).
Recent monthly traffic topping 1 gigabyte has
been resulting in denied access. Switching to the 1 gig option with my ISP would
cost me $60 a month. There are other providers that offer more reasonable rates, but
switching ISP would have to wait until my current contract ends on December 1st.
In the meanwhile, there is a
for the AWVL.
July 25, 1999
July 18, 1999
July 11, 1999
July 4, 1999
- New daily synopses.
- New photos: Maggie (Nicole Schrink), Elena,
- New tape available:
December 1981 - January 1983.
- New info: The Laverty Brothers consisted of Kirk, Nicholas, and Tibor. Karl and
Lenny are Mimi's brothers. Introduction scenes: Cass: "Hi, Elena."
Felicia: (Dictating into her tape recorder) "Sonya stared into her mirror. Yes,
there was the Parisian nose, the wide-set smoky grey eyes."
Gil: (Referring to Bay City) "Ms. Gallant, you see this run-down area we're
going through?" Kathleen: (Laughing and jumping into Ben's arms in Smiley's Diner).
- This site allows visitors to
easily help feed the hungry without having to pay anything.
June 27, 1999
- New info: Ted and Marianne stood up for John and Olive. Full name: Walter Joseph Curtin, Jr.
- New daily synopses: Wayne's murder at the end of 1970.
1971. May 23 - June 21, 1977.
- Info on Soaps and Serials in Publications: Novelizations.
- New tape available: July
1980 - December 1981.
- In development: Another World: Summer of '99 (June 1-22 extracts); Another
World: Foster Park (June 23-25); Another World: Other Worlds
(OLTL and ATWT extracts).
June 20, 1999
- New info: Intro dates: Dan Shearer (March 17, 1970). Robert Delaney
and Gerald Davis (March 18, 1970). Jamie was born in November 1969.
- New daily synopses: November 17, 1964 - January 6, 1965.
1966. 1968. 1969.
February 16, 1970 - March 30, 1970.
February 12, 1979 - March 15, 1979.
- New highlight gallery: December
1998 - May 1999. Now available:
February 1995 - June 1995
and July 1995 - December 1995.
- Something to Look Forward to:
1980-1986 tapes as soon as possible, which should feature the intro scenes of Cass, Felicia,
Donna, Kathleen, Jake, Vicky, Marley, Peter, Stacey, Perry, Nicole, Maggie,
and Julia, and the exit scenes of Steve, Louise, Brooks, Jerry, Buzz, Jason,
Julia, Rick, and Marianne; 316 more daily synopses from 1971 and 1977-1979; and... '60s tapes?...
June 13, 1999
- New info: Day players earned $43.50 per day in 1968. Liz's original
home was at 5 Crescent Drive. Walter and Lenore were married in July/August
of 1968. Matthew Paul Lewis played Ricky Fargo in 1968-1969. Pat and John
are Ricky's godparents. Middle name: Gerald Ketchum Davis. Bill and Missy
left the show on July 1, 1969. Agnes Nixon left as headwriter before the
Steve/Alice/Rachel triangle kicked into high gear, likely even before Rachel
seduced Steve and became pregnant. Thirty years ago, a commercial ran during
AW that featured a character named Frito Bandito, who would con people out
of their Frito Lays.
June 6, 1999
May 30, 1999
- New info: Missy chose her name from the newspaper. Missy's father
was Lt. Richard Summers (and obviously the person after whom she named her
son Ricky). John and Lee debuted between November 13-19, 1964. Tom Baxter
was born on December 21, 1940 and died on November 6, 1964. Lee was born
on March 1, 1948. John's first wife was Lee Dwyer. Introduction dates of
the Chicago Four: Madge Murray (June 10, 1966), Danny Fargo (June 15, 1966),
Flo Murray and Charlie Rushinberger (June 27, 1966). Eight-year old Elissa
Leeds played six-year old Hope Bauer.
May 23, 1999
May 4, 1999
April 25, 1999
- New photos: Amanda, Jamie and
- New behind-the-scenes footage: Victoria Wyndham, Douglass Watson, David Canary,
Chris Rich, and Laura Malone, featuring a walk-on role by co-host Matt Lauer
(1982, 7 minutes)
April 18, 1999
April 11, 1999
- New photos: Etta Mae, Tyrone
- New Interview: Carl and Rachel on Leeza (1/4/95).
- For great daily synopses of my favorite year, visit
A small percentage of the Another World: 35th Anniversary Celebration books
are missing the last 10-12 pages, including the cast list. Make sure the copy
you buy is the complete version.
March 28, 1999
- Weekly synopses are in for November 16, 1998 - March 26, 1999.
- The Ultimate AW Trivia Book won't be published until September.
March 21, 1999
- New photos:
Sandy and Donna, Ben and Marley,
Blaine, Carl and Donna,
Emily shoots David, Sally
shoots Catlin, Brittany shoots Peter,
Kathleen and Wally,
Sally and Catlin, First
meeting: Jake and Marley, Wedding reception: Carter
and Thomasina, Wedding: Michael and Donna,
Wally after Rocco trounces him,
Alice and Sally, Cass and
Kathleen, Remy, Shane and
Lila, Alexander and Felicia, Nancy,
Brittany's trial, Vicky,
- Find out why Carl was best when he was bad: Classic Carl
finally available in the Special Series.
March 14, 1999
March 7, 1999
- New photos:
Felicia and Edward, Birth: Grant,
Cover of AW
- New info: Intro line, Vicky (Ellen Wheeler, 4/11/85), to Jake after waiting for him in
his room, "It's about time." The Arizona location sequences were directed by
February 28, 1999
synopses: December 7, 1978 - February 9, 1979. I'm taking a break for a
couple months before resuming with February - July 1979, though I did
jump ahead for early Cecile info. After those, there will be more
February 21, 1999
- New info:
Denny and Leigh Hobson were known as Clint and Jerry in the 1970s. Janice
was one year older than Willis. Buzz's real name is Robert. Jamie and Blaine
were married on October 20, 1978 in J.P. Bellamy's living room in Ogden with Larry
and Mimi standing up for them.
- New photo: Disrupted Wedding: Cameron and Amanda.
- New synopses added: September 21, 1978 - December 6, 1978.
- New logo, buttons, and page header added.
February 14, 1999
- New info:
Will McMillan played Dennis on March 11, 1977.
- New synopses added: January 13, 1977 - March 18, 1977, and October 3, 1977 - December 28, 1977.
- Excerpts from The Soap Opera Book (1976) in
February 7, 1999
- New info: Michael and Molly were married on December 13, 1976, with Willis and Angie
standing up for them. Brian's first wife and Ted's mother was Muriel
Bancroft. Gwen's parents were Leueen and Hadley Parrish. Matthew Thornton
played Cory Hobson in 1976. Four year-old Jason Bernard played Ricky
Fargo in 1970.
- New photos: Missy, Sam,
Afternoon TV 8/80.
- New synopses added: November 9, 1976 - January 12, 1977.
January 31, 1999
- New info:
Mac's first wife was Emily Cory. Joey and Angie's father was Tony Perrini.
- New synopses
added: August 11, 1978, and August 24, 1978 to September 20, 1978.
- Former AW director Leonard Valenta died January 28, 1999 of complications
resulting from heart failure.
January 24, 1999
1994 - February 1995 tape is now available.
info: Robert Delaney was Steve's best man during his second wedding to Alice.
Emma had three boys and two girls: Henry, Wade, Sterling, Rhoda (AKA Molly) and,
presumably, Frankie. E.R.'s Laura Innes played the ghost of Nora Diamond
in the summer of 1988. Amanda was born premature and spent her first few weeks
in an incubator.
synopses added: July to August 1975; August 21, 22, 23, 1978; June 14, 1979.
January 17, 1999
January 10, 1999
- New info:
Walter Curtin was Steve's best man during his first wedding to Alice. Charles
Moore was Lenore's father. Beatrice's original name was Beatrice Gibson. Robert's
infant son who died was named Robbie. 10 year old Sally Spencer was the sole survivor of a car
crash that killed her parents; ironically, a car crash
was to claim Sally's life 11 years later. Louise's plants are now listed in
- Harper Collins hopes to "debut" the AW anniversary book during the fan-club luncheon.
January 3, 1999
- New info:
Philip Wainwright's mother's name was Enid. Harding Lemay's last script
was May 11, 1979.
- New info:
Nancy was born on July 3, 1974 (6 lbs, 8 ounces). Originally named Susan, Connie Ford requested
that her name be changed to Nancy in honor of the recently deceased Nancy
Wickwire (Liz, 1969-1971). On the show, Nancy was named after Gil's mother. Intro
scene, Douglass Watson: Showing up at Iris Carrington's doorstep a day earlier
than expected, "Hello, Louise" (August 7, 1974). The first meeting of Mac and Rachel
happened off-screen, during Rachel's visit to New York in October 1973.