Previous Updates - 1997
December 28, 1997
- From the AWVL, the 1989 freeze frame gallery is now up, in Freeze Frames.
December 21, 1997
- New photos: 1996 Emmys: Charles Keating, 1996 Emmys: Anna Kathryn Holbrook, Josie,
30th Anniversary poster, Iris's 1970s portrait, Lila and Grant, Proposal: Nick and Sofia [same
place as their 1996 proposal].
- In Publications, nine new covers from Soap Opera Magazine and Soap Opera Weekly, and the
cover for the 1976 AW magazine.
- There will be a brand new, very special video, featuring legendary AW hijinks of the early and
December 14, 1997
- New photos: Cass and Donna, Felicia and Alexander, Lila, Adam, Emma, Gerald and
Rachel, Kurt Landis and Liz, Location Shoot 1970s: Jamie and Dennis, Neil and Carol,
Dave, Jim and Mary, Dr. Joe Bernardi and Lee Randolph, Michael and Lee, Pat and Bill,
Walter and Missy, John and Lee, Peggy Nolan, Lenore, and Lee, Walter and Lenore, The
Copper Kettle Inn, Alice and Lee with dates.
December 7, 1997
November 30, 1997
November 23, 1997
- If it needs to be said: Buying copies of my AW videos does not entitle you to actual ownership
of the AWVL as it relates to competitive distribution and undue accreditation. This refers to
selling whole or re-edited copies on the Internet, and to featuring screen shots on your web
page without approval.
- New photos: First Kiss: Tomas and Sofia, Tomas, Carl with grubs, Donna, Gary and Josie.
- Interesting new Trivia, no. 247.
- I've restored the "visual tour" of Bay City to Virtual Bay City and BCUH is now accessible (unavailable). I
haven't worked on VBC for a long time and I don't have any plans to resume it at present.
- Some statistical analysis: For seven successive weeks this fall, the ratings were all under 3.0.
That is (by far) the longest stretch of 2.* ratings the show has ever had.
November 2, 1997
- New photos: Mac Cory (the 1st), Ernie Downs, Vic Hastings, AW 25th Anniversary, Jason,
Location Shot 1988, First Kiss: Cass and Nicole, Lisa, Wally, M.J., Adam and M.J.,
Frankie and Derek, Evan and Amanda, Evan and Iris, Sharlene, Adam.
- Photos from 1981 and 1989 in Daytime Emmy Awards.
- New Trivia (243-246).
- Brand new video, The Best of Mac and Rachel: 1984-1989.
October 26, 1997
- New photos: Dan Shearer, Therese Lamonte, Lenore Moore, Robert Delaney, John
Randolph, Rick Halloway, Zachary Colton, Amanda Cory (1st), Dennis and Paige, Mary
McKinnon's portrait, Location shoot 1986, SOD 1979 Cover, SOD 1983 Cover, Carl and
Marley, Location shoot 1987, Mary, Vince, Cheryl, Ada and Captain Delaney, Sam and
Joyce (RKK and Rena Sofer), First Kiss: Vicky and Adam.
- New data and photos in End Credits. Learn what may have inspired the freeze frames.
- New photos from 1978 from the Soap Opera Awards.
- The original address of the Cory mansion was 4 Bayview Drive. Kathleen's full name is
Kathleen Mary McKinnon. Jamie was named after Jim Matthews.
October 19, 1997
October 12, 1997
- New chat logs in Internet Chat Directory.
- New photo: Cindy, Grant, and Bobola
- The weekly synopses for 1976-1979 are in. (The most interesting thing revealed is that Iris was
born in prison.) There is every indication that this syndicated column extends several years prior
October 5, 1997
September 28, 1997
- The March 1994-August 1994 tape is now available. It's a great tape, with strong stories for the
best couples: Jake and Paulina, Ryan and Vicky, Carl and Rachel, John and Sharlene, Cass
and Frankie, and Donna and Matthew. (The tape also features Maggie and Tomas, Ian and
Josie, Grant and Amanda, Felicia and Marshall, Iris and Evan, and Morgan, Brett, and Lorna.)
It's an extra $5 because it's a T-160, two hours and forty-five minutes.
- There will be weekly synopses for 1976-1979 very soon.
- New photo in Dante.
September 17, 1997
- There are over 150 new screen shots from 1979 to 1985. Look in the Character Guide for
names with a "new" icon (check the subfiles of these files too). For other files and those that
would take too long to load otherwise, here are direct links to the new photos or their files:
Miscellaneous, AWVL, Location Shot 1979, Location Shot 1979, Proposal: Ada and Charlie,
Interlocking Rings Opening, FF: 1981, FF: 1983, FF: 1985, Wedding: Ada and Charlie,
Wedding: Mac/Rachel, Sandy/Blaine, Donna and Brian, Felicia, Cass and Stacey, First
Meeting: Peter and Brittany, Wedding: Catlin and Sally, Vicky and Jake, Vicky and Jake, Jake,
Jake, Vicky, Vicky, Donna and Peter, Amanda and Matthew, Carl and Rachel
September 5, 1997
- There are about 1,750 new screen shots from 1981 to 1997. I tried as much as possible not to
duplicate vidcaps that already appear in the AWVL gallery. The new photos are mostly to be
found in the character guide, but there are many appearing in some of the regular files, as well
as some unlikely places. In cases of duplication of text, there might be duplication of photos, or
there might be different photos for each case. Taking into account loading times, it will take
between 2-3 hours to view all the new photos. In the next month I will be adding more screen
shots from 1974, and 1979 to 1986.
- I removed the Gallery, as now the entire site is one big gallery. Links to those old galleries can
still be found in the Freeze Frame, Opening Sequences, and AWVL files. There are two new
files that might be construed as "Galleries," but you will have to find the links in one of the
- As much as possible I used freeze frames to depict characters and relationships (romantic and
- I removed the photos that were serving as decoration only (including the ones from this page)
so as to speed up your access time.
- Thanks to everyone who has ever bought or who will be buying an AW video from me.
Without those funds, I wouldn't be able to afford this web space or the tool to capture frame
- A new tape, Classic Carl, available in the AWVL Special Series.
July 27, 1997
- Deluxe Update: September 1 is the target date for uploading the revamped site. It will feature
about 1,500 new, original, high-quality, medium- and large-sized, hot screen shots of the past
17 years of Another World.
July 20, 1997
- Deluxe Update: The new site is coming along extremely well. The weak link in this site has
always been the photos: many were poor reproductions, or were poorly scanned, or were dull,
generic studio or out-of-place real-life shots. I'm getting rid of most all of them and replacing
them with original vidcaps. The effects are startling. There is a consistency of quality, size and
shape that give the site a true CD-ROM encyclopedic feel. The new site will be 100 times
better, and that is *not* just hot air. In essence, each character and couple will have their own
Gallery, which will include their best freeze frames.
July 13, 1997
- Don't miss the New and Improved Virtual Bay City. Only one building is complete, although I
hope to have the entire town up one day, so that it really will be possible to get lost. The plan is
to integrate this version and the old version.
- I'm taking a break for the rest of the summer. The show is burning me out. It's hard to record
the history of a show that doesn't care about its own history. I'm hoping in the fall I'll be able to
get that unlimited storage, and be able to overhaul this site and turn it into an AWHP Deluxe, if
June 22, 1997
- Now that I can do vidcaps, I want to overhaul the entire site, putting applicable photos to go
with most every file/page. Whether I can do this will be decided in October, when my contract
with Intranet expires and I see if I can find a provider with unlimited space.
- Please remember that AWVL tapes from March 1994 - August 1994 to the present are not
currently available. And please include your email address in your letters so I can contact you if
there's a problem with your order.
June 15, 1997
- Whatever you do, don't miss the most exciting addition to the AWHP ever: The AWHP
Gallery. Even though those links already appear in the relevant AWHP files, I grouped them all
in one page for easy access.
- The AWHP has a nice new font.
June 1, 1997
- There is now a synopsis for 1976. Read it to find out what a truly character-driven show is like.
I hope to fill out the remaining years, although on a reduced level.
May 25, 1997
- Earlier this week I was able to greatly help the official search for the best Rachel scenes to
show during the Rachel retrospective airing, I believe, July 15. When the montage has aired, I
will detail what scenes I can take "credit" for (some were entirely my suggestion, while others I
simply helped find their approximate air date), as well as some "backstage" details I was privy to
during the search.
- The synopses for 1997 are finally in.
- I have something very exciting in the works, maybe for next week or the week after.
May 18, 1997
- There is a price reduction in the AWVL for Canadians due to some new postage info.
May 11, 1997
- Well, stupid me forgot all about the Disrupted Weddings file. The link is back.
- Some episodes from 1984 and 1985 resulted in new Credits, Freeze Frames, and Trivia info.
May 4, 1997
- The tag line on the cover is from the show's original epigraph. I wanted to emulate "The truth is
out there" from X-Files, and I think it works in that vein.
- Publications: Novelizations now has cover photos.
- I burst some brain cells to get two new places done for Virtual Bay City in time for today, the
33rd anniversary. You'll have to find them on your own though. Remember that there are two,
and ONLY two, new locations.
April 27, 1997
- The first line of the new cover gallery is for all-time greatest couples. The second line is my
personal favorites (that don't already appear in the first line).
- The Vicky/Marley clip shown during Anne Heche's appearance on the Rosie O'Donnell Show
Monday was the exact same one the David Letterman Show requested of P&G, having chosen
it from among the 12 I suggested and offered samples of. Letterman didn't have time to run the
clip, but what must have happened is that when Rosie requested an Anne Heche episode from
P&G to air, P&G simply sent them a copy of the episode they sent to Letterman. So I think it's
fair to say that Rosie's Anne Heche AW clip was supplied by me.
- Significant new data in the Ratings file from a ratings line graph I acquired. We can estimate
that AW presently has about 3 million viewers, and about 4.3 million 10 years ago.
- New photo in Backstage Romances.
- Status report added to Real-Life Marriages.
April 13, 1997
April 6, 1997
- VBC (dead link) lives! Several people have asked me to finish Virtual Bay City, so I've undertaken to do
just that. In about a week I finished most of three characters, so it's going well. Since it's been
over two years since I set it aside, I was doubtful I still had the frame of mind necessary to write
it. But if anything, the new stuff is even wilder. Keep in mind that it will take time to complete.
- Thanks to Barb for scanning the two new additions to the logo gallery.
- The item mentioned seven weeks ago has taken a big leap forward and a very interesting turn...
March 30, 1997
- The cover screen probably took a while to download, but it was worth it I hope. I like it as it
represents the AWHP, "lotsa stuff, mostly from the mid-1980s to the present, but professionally
done." I envy those of you with color printers as it makes a great mini-poster.
- I've read two of new head writers Michael Malone's novels so far. He's now one of my favorite
authors. Wonderful stuff, with substance.
March 23, 1997
- I changed the link to "AWHP" from "Eddie Drueding" so that people wouldn't think it was just
a mailto link and not link to it.
- I moved the synopses files to my NCF account, and used the free space for many new photos.
This time I focused on older characters and main families. Check out the Character Guide for
files with a "NEW" icon. As well, new photos in Sharlene, Matthew, Michael Flirtations,
Rachel (check Spouses and Occupations), Amanda Family, Location Sequences, Jake and
Vicky, Real-Life Marriages, Cass and Kathleen, Mansions, and Miscellaneous. I don't have
time to double-check that everything's been uploaded alright, so please let me know if a graphic
doesn't load where it seems one should.
- The Oct90-Feb91 AWVL tape is available at the special price of $10 US or $13 Canadian. For
this "bonus edition," the last 15 minutes have been chopped and two bonus non-AWVL added:
(1) A Vicky/Jake montage from 1986, and (2) the Vicky/Jake attempted rape scene from 1991.
This is being done to introduce people to the AWVL, so don't hope that other tapes will be
March 16, 1997
- The Mar94-Aug94 AWVL tape joins the ranks of the unavailable ones. I hadn't realized it was
March 9, 1997
- I've finished redoing the character files, and I updated them as well.
- The chat room is now a deluxe Java one.
March 2, 1997
- I'm not sure why Letterman didn't show any AW clips during Anne's appearance. Some
suggested it was because the show was running late and there was no time. Maybe next time
then. One of the scenes I chose was particularly relevant in light of her rising star in Hollywood:
Vicky commenting to Carl, "Oh, I'm not the same nobody I used to be."
- Some kind soul supplied me with 300 frame grabs of several recent episodes. The following
files have one or more new and completely original photos: Grant, Grant Family, Joe, Joe and
Paulina, Gabe, Vicky, Vicky and Bobby, Tomas, Tomas and Sofia, Sofia, Nick, Bobby, Jake,
Jake and Paulina, Matthew, Gary, Gary and Josie, Restaurants, Houses, Places of Work, Sets,
and Publications. I'm very pleased as they help give the site a fresh, original look.
- The hot new photo on the cover screen is a commercial from 1989 with Jamie, Vicky, and
Jake. It's in an AWVL video, and looks even better in motion (the actors are dancing).
- I'm eliminating the duplication of couples files. Instead of two files with identical text but
different photos, there will be one file with combined photos.
- When it's confirmed that Kathleen, Cheryl, and Scott are returning, I will expand and
photo-enrich their files. I actually forgot some info, such as John and Cheryl's romance.
February 23, 1997
- Anne Heche will be appearing on the David Letterman show on Tuesday the 25th. They asked
me to look through my AW videos for good scenes to embarrass her with, a common practice
on that show. I sent them 13 scenes for their consideration. If there's any story to be told in
regards what they chose, I'll tell it next week.
- New material available in the AWVL: the Rolanda episode (with about seven AW stars) and
Brad Pitt's AW scenes from 1987. Both are $10 each. Or, for faithful readers of this page, both
February 16, 1997
- Okay, one more, and final (I hope) change to the cover screen. I hope I've struck a good
balance between style and functionality (which I feel should be the main purpose of this page).
- I've become involved in the initial stages of a brand new official AW page, but I'm sworn to
February 8, 1997
- Big changes with my AW video library. Details in the AWVL file. In a word, you may order
almost anything you like and I will make the copy for you myself.
- The new cover screen resulted when my copy of awhp.html crashed every time I tried to load it
into my word processor. Since I had to rewrite it, I thought I'd redesign it as well. The aw
buttons line up perfectly with Internet Explorer, but not with NN. I'm not sure if the problem
can be solved to accommodate both browsers
February 2, 1997
- AW editor Karen Thomas has agreed to contribute to the AWHP. Read her enlightening
comments in the freeze frame file, the misc file, and the music file.
- Please fill out the AW Fan Brigade's AW Annual Survey (dead link) rewritten by me. Results will be sent
directly to all the brass at AW and NBC.
- The music files have now been adapted to work with Netscape Navigator.
- Virtual Bay City is up and running at my new Geocities site. I'm housing it there as I get two
megs for free, and right now that makes a difference. Say the right thing to the right person in
VBC and you'll get access to the AW Morphing Gallery and the AW Interlaced Images Gallery.
- If you are ever in the chat room, and someone is making rude and inappropriate comments,
please take down their IP numbers (those located right before their handle) and email me with
that info. Also be aware that one individual may be using several different handles; the single IP
number will give this away.
January 26, 1997
- Several of the character files now come with self-loading MIDI music files. MIDIs load and
play really quickly. I chose characters' official or unofficial themes, and other times, songs that
seeemed appropriate. Files with music have a corresponding icon next to their name in the
character guide list. And if you don't have a multimedia computer, you should aso know that
the cover screen (awhp.html) plays that old song, "What a Wonderful World," and this page
plays "Under the Boardwalk," which was performed on the 30th anniversary episode. [Note:
The cover screen no longer plays a music file.]
- The Best of Rachel is now available as part of the AWVL Special Series.
- If you feel like it, check out the new animated gifs in Couples Data and the Frankie eddietorial.
January 19, 1997
- The AWHP now has a chat room! It works great, but the problem seems to be being in the
same room at the same time as others. Hot times are weekdays between 3:00 and 4:00 pm EST
(right after the show) and 10:00 and 11:00 pm EST. I'll see about posting a schedule with an
assortment of times, to better the chances of meeting someone when you visit the room.